Friday, June 20, 2014

IIT Kanpur

My next trip was to IIT Kanpur. I really wanted to get into IIT Kanpur. It is one of the best IITs and on top of it, it is not very far from Delhi.

Selection Criterion
IIT Kanpur declared a list of candidates selected based on GATE score. These did not have to give any interview and were directly admitted. Another list of shortlisted candidates was displayed on their website which were supposed to appear for written and interview. The written and interviews were scheduled for 8th and 9th of May.

About Course
Program offered at IIT Kanpur was M.Tech Computer Science.

Travel
I traveled to Kanpur by train and stayed at the hostel.

The Institute
IIT Kanpur has one of the best campuses among all the IITs. The lush green campus was easily accessible from railway station by road. Unlike the campus the city did not look very clean and green.  City was very polluted but inside the campus the environment was very good. There were many hostels that were called halls here. 
The hostel room were given on twin sharing basis. It had 2 single beds without any matrices, pillows or bedsheets. The rooms were good but were small for two people to stay. Infrastructure wise the institute was best among all the IIT I visited. It had many playgrounds and all the facilities in the campus. The mess food was also awesome. IIT Kanpur is considered one of the best institutes for research in Computer Science branch.

The Written Round
The written paper was scheduled 9 am in the morning and it started on time. The paper consisted of 3 sections quant, systems and theoretical. The paper had objective questions with only one correct choice and also had some fill in the blank questions. The paper had topics ranging from TOC(finite automata, language theory question etc), compiler, algorithm questions, CO questions(paging, CPU scheduling etc), NP complete and it had questions covering nearly all GATE subjects. Everything was from GATE syllabus only. The paper was very easy and most of the students were hoping that they will be called for the next round.

We were exhausted waiting for the result which was to be announced at 2 pm which got delayed 2 times and was finally displayed at 4 pm. The list consisted of around 37 students selected directly based on the performance in written round and rest 12 were selected based on interview.

My name didn't appear in any of the list and hence my 2 day trip to Kanpur was cut short by one day. I booked a return ticket to Delhi and returned Delhi the same night.

My Trip
I enjoyed my trip to IIT Kanpur. I enjoyed my stay at the hostel. I didn't have time to see the city as I reached Kanpur in the morning and returned in the evening.

Interview Call Letter (29 April)

No comments:

Post a Comment